Perma.cc is a service, currently in beta, that allows users to create citation links that will never break.
When a user creates a Perma.cc link, Perma.cc archives a copy of the referenced content, and generates a link to an unalterable hosted instance of the site. Regardless of what may happen to the original source, if the link is later published by a journal using the Perma.cc service, the archived version will always be available through the Perma.cc link.
Readers who click on a Perma.cc link are taken to a page that lets them choose to go to the original site (which may have changed since the link was created) or see the archived copy of the site in its original state.
Perma.cc is an online preservation service developed by the Harvard Law School Library in conjunction with university law libraries across the country and other organizations in the “forever” business.
Why use Perma.cc
In a sample of several legal journals, approximately 70% of all links in citations published between 1999 and 2011 no longer point to the same material. Broken links in journal articles undermine the citation-based system of legal scholarship by obscuring the evidence underlying authors’ ideas.
As Internet usage becomes more widespread and web citations in legal scholarship become more common, the problem of link rot will become increasingly important.
Using Perma.cc ensures that material cited by authors will always be accessible to readers, preserving the foundation of legal scholarship online.
How it works
Any author can go to the Perma.cc website and input a URL. Perma.cc downloads the material at that URL and gives back a new URL (a “Perma.cc link”) that can then be inserted in a paper.
After the paper has been submitted to a journal, the journal staff checks that the provided Perma.cc link actually represents the cited material. If it does, the staff “vests” the link and it is forever preserved. Links that are not “vested” will be preserved for two years, at which point the author will have the option to renew the link for another two years.
Readers who encounter Perma.cc links can click on them like ordinary URLs. This takes them to the Perma.cc site where they are presented with a page that has links both to the original web source (along with some information, including the date of the Perma.cc link’s creation) and to the archived version stored by Perma.cc.
The following institutions are the founding members supporting Perma.cc:
- Pence Law Library, Washington College of Law, American University
- Law Library at Boston College, Boston College of Law
- Pappas Law Library, Boston University School of Law
- Biddle Law Library, University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Charleston School of Law Library
- CloudFlare, Inc.
- William A. Wise Law Library, Colorado Law
- Arthur W. Diamond Law Library, Columbia Law School
- Cornell University Law School
- Digital Public Library of America
- J. Michael Goodson Law Library, Duke University School of Law
- Florida State Law Research Center, Florida State University College of Law
- University of Florida Levin College of Law
- The Leo T. Kissam Memorial Library, Fordham University School of Law
- Georgetown Law Library, Georgetown Law
- Harvard Law School Library
- Ruth Lilly Law Library, Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indiana University
- Internet Archive
- Louis L. Biro Law Library, The John Marshall Law School
- Kresge Law Library, University of Notre Dame The Law School
- College of Law Library, University of La Verne
- Paul L. Boley Law Library, Lewis & Clark Law School
- Louisiana State University Law Library, LSU Law Center
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- Alex A. Hanna Law Library, St. Thomas University School of Law
- The Peter Rodino Law Library, Seton Hall Law School
- Brooklyn Law School Library
- Golden Gate University Law Library
- John F. Schaefer Law Library, Michigan State University College of Law
- SMU Dedman School of Law
- Texas Tech University School of Law
- Ray & Kay Eckstein Law Library, Marquette University
- Pace Law School, Pace University
- University of California, Irvine School of Law
- George R. Farmer Jr. Law Library, West Virginia University College of Law
- IIT Chicago-Kent Law Library, IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
- John Joseph Moakley Law Library, Suffolk University Law School
- Barco Law Library, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Vincent C. Immel Law Library, Saint Louis University
- University of Tennessee-Knoxville College of Law
- Willamette University College of Law
- Michigan Reporter of Decisions, Michigan Supreme Court
- Law Library, Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- Tulane Law Library, Tulane University Law School
- Alexander Campbell King Law Library, University of Georgia School of Law
- Valparaiso University School of Law Library
- Thurgood Marshall Law Library, Francis King Carey School of Law, University of Maryland
- Melbourne Law School Library, The University of Melbourne
- University of Nebraska College of Law
- Pritzker Legal Research Center, Northwestern Law
- Michael E. Moritz Law Library, Ohio State University
- Bodleian Law Library, Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford
- Harnish Law Library, Pepperdine University School of Law
- William Taylor Muse Law Library, University of Richmond School of Law
- The Fred Parks Law Library, South Texas College of Law
- Robert Crown Law Library, Stanford Law School
- Hugh & Hazel Darling Law Library, UCLA School of Law
- University of Miami School of Law
- Grisham Law Library, University of Mississippi School of Law
- Wiener-Rogers Law Library, UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law
- Pardee Legal Research Center, University of San Diego
- Tarlton Law Library, Jamail Center of Legal Research, The University of Texas School of Law
- S.J. Quinney Law Library, University of Utah
- Vanderbilt Law School
- Arthur J. Morris Law Library, University of Virginia School of Law
- University of Washington School of Law
- Washington University Law
- William & Mary Law School
- University of Wisconsin Law Library
- Lillian Goldman Law Library, Yale Law School
- Kathrine R. Everett Law Library, University of North Carolina
- Widener University School of Law
- University of Iowa Law Library
- Berkeley Law Library
- Oklahoma City University School of Law
- Claremont School of Theology Library, Claremont School of Theology
- Princeton University Library, Princeton University
- Vermont Law School Library, Vermont Law School
- CUNY School of Law Library
Explore our Stats
We've put together a Stats page to begin to visualize activity.
For more information, please contact email us at [email protected]